Photograph: RANGI (1905) at sea
Hawkins, Clifford William (b.1914, d.2007)
See full details
This scow schooner vessel type was built by G. T. Nicol in 1905 in Auckland, for The Ford Shipping Company, and later for Messrs F. M. Winstone and Captain J. Francis. At the time this photograph was taken, it was owned by Leyland O'Brien Timber Company for their operations based at Freeman's Bay, Auckland.
RANGI (1905) has a schooner sail setting, as the mizzen mast is higher than the forward mast. Here the stays and rigging are visible.
Scows were primarily built for logging and the transport of firewood, sand and shingle on the coast New Zealand.
The online platform at New Zealand Maritime Museum Hui Te Ananui a Tangaroa (NZMM) is continually developing. Records are updated with new information and images regularly. There may be errors or omissions in the information provided and we welcome input from the public.
The NZ Maritime Museum aims to provide free use of our Collections Online content. The majority of the online images are available for download and reuse, free of charge. We ask that our material is appropriately attributed, and that users adhere to restrictions when these are indicated. For guidance and information regarding attribution, rights and restrictions please read our Image Use Policy or contact the Collections Team.